KATE MIDDLETON was expected to be attending the unveiling of the Princess Diana statue this week – but royal aides were reportedly “agonizing” over how her presence would make Prince Harry feel.
Kate was described as the royal “peacemaker” after Prince Philip’s funeral in April, when she was seen engaging Harry and his estranged brother Prince William in conversation. It sparked hopes that the siblings were going to heal their rift — only for the Duke of Sussex to make another string of damning accusations against the Firm as soon as he touched down in the US. It was then widely speculated that the Duchess of Cambridge would make an appearance at the unveiling ceremony for the Princess Diana statue this week — on what would have been the royal’s 60th birthday — as well.
However, the Palace confirmed last week that the service would be a slimmed-down occasion due to Covid restrictions, with only Harry, William, Diana‘s close family members, statue committee members, the statue sculptors and the designer of the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace in attendance.
Royal commentator Camilla Tominey explained: “Aides had agonised over whether Kate, 39, should attend Thursday’s engagement but she will not be present.
“While William, 39, always wanted his wife of 10 years to be by his side, there were concerns that Harry might feel ‘outflanked’ by the Cambridges if they were there together and he was on his own.”
Meghan will not be attending the occasion because she gave birth to the couple’s second child, Lilibet Diana, at the beginning of June. Read more: daily express
Tell us what you think in the comments below!
- Philippos of Greece will ‘marry’ his wife for a THIRD time in Athens
- Kate Middleton and Prince William in unseen photos backstage at the Earthshot Prize Awards
- Prince William and Kate Middleton are ‘very focused on having a high profile in US’
- Kate Middleton was ‘so clearly, really proud of Prince William’, says royal photographer
- How William and Kate took a leaf out of Meghan and Harry’s book with PDA Earthshot pictures
- Copy-Kate! Cambridges take a leaf out of Meghan and Harry’s book with artsy PDA pictures